Pages

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Sliders and Homemade Tater Tots

Tonight was hamburger night at our house. I decided to switch up our routine and made sliders instead of full-sized hamburgers. Sliders are kid-friendly. Their small size makes burger night approachable and fun, and the kids can customize their own. I like serving our sliders on Hawaiian-style rolls, but I've seen slider-sized hamburger buns in my grocery store. Here is my recipe for my basic sliders, and a few of my favorite variations to jazz it up.

Basic Slider Patties
(makes about 18 burgers)

Ingredients:
1.5 pounds ground beef (80% beef, 20% fat)
1 medium yellow onion, small dice
2 Tbsp. Worchester sauce
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper


Directions: Mix together all ingredients. Let rest on counter about 30 minutes to let meat come to roughly room temperature and the flavors to meld together. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium, medium-high heat until hot. Using a 2-ounce scoop, measure and form your sliders. I set them on waxed paper while the skillet is getting hot, and cook them in batches to not crowd the pan. If your cast-iron is well seasoned and your pan is hot, you shouldn't need to add any oil. Sprinkle a pinch of kosher salt in the bottom of the skillet before adding your first batch of patties. I usually let them cook a little longer on the first side to get a nice caramelized exterior, and then finish them quickly on side two. I like to add cheese at the very end and tent with foil so it melts. I serve these with lettuce and pickles, and a choice of mayo, ketchup, or mustard.

My sliders on Hawaiian butter rolls. I used pepper jack cheese on some, and cheddar on others. It's important to please everyone, especially when it comes to cheese!

Variations:
1. Replace onion with green onion and Worchester for Teriyaki sauce, and add a few teaspoons of sesame seeds. Serve with spicy mayo and pineapple. 
2. Omit the onion from the patties and use grill seasoning instead of just salt and pepper. Caramelize the onion until brown and sweet, deglaze with a bit of balsamic. Serve with the caramelized onions and a smoky cheese (cheddar or mozzarella), and a bit of steak sauce.
3. Replace beef with ground turkey. Top with salsa and avocado.

Check back soon for my recipe for homemade Tater Tots using a special green ingredient!

Part Two: Zucchini Tater Tots

My garden has been giving me a plethora of zucchini lately. We can't seem to eat it fast enough before more pop up. We've been making stuffed zucchini boats weekly, plus zucchini bread, but we still have zucchini coming out of our ears. I've been trying to make the zucchini we eat interesting and "picky-kid friendly", so serving sautéed zucchini night after night won't work in our house. Turning to Pinterest I've found some great recipes using zucchini, which got me inspired to create my own zucchini recipes. These zucchini potato tots are easy to make, plus they are baked, not fried. I used 1 huge zucchini out of my garden, but 2-3 grocery store sized zucchini would be equivalent.

Zucchini Tater Tots
(makes 3-4 dozen)

Ingredients:
2-3 medium sized zucchini
1 large russet potato
Large pinch of salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/4 tsp. ground cayenne or chipotle chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions: Preheat your oven to 425, and spray 2 mini muffin tins with non-stick cooking spray. Using the grater attachment for your food processor or by hand, grate the zucchini and potato and add a large pinch of salt. Let sit 5 minutes, then drain well, squeezing through a kitchen dish towel. You might be surprised on how much water comes out! Mix zucchini and potato with the eggs, breadcrumbs, and seasoning until well combined. Spoon mixture into muffin tins and press in with your fingers. This would be a fun recipe to try with kids, because who doesn't like getting a little messy? Bake for 25-30 minutes, until browned. Let cool slightly on paper towels, then serve with your favorite condiment. My kids like these with ketchup, I like adding a bit of Tabasco to mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment