Pages

Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bread Made Easy

There is something about a freshly-baked, warm loaf of bread that reminds me of my childhood. Sometime in the '90s my dad received a bread machine for Christmas. Him or my grandmother used to make a fresh loaf of bread overnight or while we were away at school. On those days our house smelled amazing. I think my parents still have that bread machine somewhere, gathering dust. I enjoy baking for my family. I don't own a fancy mixer or a bread machine, but I can still make delicious bread from scratch. 
This week I adapted a recipe from one of my favorite recipe books to create a bread dough that can be made in bulk and stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.

Refrigerator Bread Dough
Makes about 3 pounds of dough

Ingredients:
2 Tbsp. active dry yeast
1/3 cup sugar 
2 cups warm water
2 tsp. kosher salt
1 egg, beaten
4 Tbsp. melted butter
2 cups whole wheat flour
3-4 cups white bread flour

Directions: Mix the yeast, sugar, and warm water together and let dissolve. Add the salt, beaten egg, and melted butter. Mix in the whole wheat flour and enough of the bread flour until it becomes hard to stir. Turn the dough out and knead until the dough is smooth and elastic. Wash the bowl out and grease it and place the dough in the bowl, rolling it around. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for about an hour. Punch down the dough and recover with plastic wrap and a plate. Place in the refrigerator and pinch off the dough as you need it.



Day 1, Butter-top dinner rolls: I pinched off 8 2-ounce balls (I weighed them using my kitchen scale) and shaped them into dinner rolls and placed them into a buttered 8x8" Pyrex dish. I covered them with a clean towel and let double in size. I brushed the tops with some more melted butter and baked them at 425 for about 15 minutes.

 

Day 2, Sandwich bread: Now this isn't your average sandwich bread! I took an 8 ounce piece of refrigerated dough and rolled it out into an 18" log, folded it in half and gave it a twist. I dusted the top with a bit of flour and let double in size. I baked it at 425 for 15 minutes.
 
 

Day 2, Hamburger buns: I weighed out four 2 1/2 ounce balls of dough and rolled them into balls. I placed them on a parchment lined baking sheet about 2 inches apart, covered and let rise until double in size. I put brushed a bit of egg wash on the top and sprinkled them with a combination of poppy and sesame seeds. Well, at least I sprinkled 3 of the 4 with seeds and left the last one naked for my step-daughter. I then baked them at 425 for about 15 minutes.
 



Day 3, Garlic knots: I weighed out the remaining dough into 1 1/2 ounce portions and rolled each piece into a log about 10 inches log. I then formed them into knots. I let them rise while I made a garlic infused butter. Basically I took half a stick of butter, 6 smashed garlic cloves, and a pinch of kosher salt and let sit over low heat for about 30 minutes. When the knots were doubled in size, I brushed them heavily with the garlic butter and sprinkled a bit of garlic powder and kosher salt onto each one, and (again) baked at 425 for 15 minutes.


As the dough sits in the fridge it develops a yeasty aroma, almost like a sourdough. Since I was making rolls for 5 everyday, the amount of dough this recipe makes didn't last a whole week. Next time I will experiment with doubling the recipe, or maybe switching it up a little. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment