Pages

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Mid-Week Brunch

Yesterday, I visited the farmer's market with my step-daughter. We picked up grapes and a variety of berries, corn, green beans, swiss chard, and a rainbow of cherry tomatoes. The late summer produce is abundant, and the return of figs, pears and apples to the market remind us that autumn is around the corner. The end of summer means the return to school for the kids. Today, my step-daughter is flying home. My step-son has decided to stay with his dad and I for the school year.

I made a quick and healthy brunch celebrating some of the gorgeous vegetables we picked up from the market. Using fresh corn, cherry tomatoes and green beans I created a salad that I topped with poached eggs. I finished with bits of bacon on top, but you could keep this meal vegetarian by substituting crumbles of feta.


 
Summer Vegetable Salad with Poached Eggs
(Serves 2)
 
Ingredients: 
1 handful green beans, about a cup
1 ear of corn
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes
Salt and pepper
Red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
2 pieces thick-cut bacon
4 eggs

Directions: Trim green beans and cut into bite-sized pieces. Blanch in salted water 2-3 minutes, then shock in ice water to stop the cooking. Cut the kernels off the corn. Halve or quarter the cherry tomatoes. Cook off the bacon. I used the microwave for this, but you can pan-fry it or bake it in the oven if you prefer. For the poached eggs, I use a high-sided pan with a few inches of water in it. I set it over medium heat until the water is just simmering. I add a bit of salt and about 2 tablespoons of white vinegar to the water. Swirl the water with the back of a spoon before adding your eggs. Swirling plus the vinegar will help the whites coagulate and stay together. I crack my eggs into a separate dish and gently place them into the water. I cook the eggs for a few minutes, until the whites are done but the yolks are still runny. I take the eggs out and drain them onto a paper towel. When the eggs are done, dress the vegetables with a splash of red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss together, then divide onto two plates. I top the salad with two poached eggs and some crumbled bits of bacon. I sprinkle a touch of salt and fresh cracked pepper on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment